Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Unshaken


Unshaken 
Everyday I am judged based on untrue facts.
Misinformed people who don't try to understand.
A feeling of un-welcome;
Glares that penetrate my soul.
Every time they knock me down,
they only lend a hand
So that when I get back on my feet,
They can watch me fall down again.
We act so very different,
But our beliefs are all the same.
Every night I pray it will change;
That they will see how wrong they are.
But I see it in their eyes,
 and the whispers that they share.
They wonder what I'm thinking,
Like I'm some kind of alien that needs to be examined.
Hypocrites is what they are.
Preaching for us to love one another.
Only just after saying bad things about my faith.
In a place where Christians gather,
I should have a feeling of warmth and welcome,
But instead, I feel as if I don't belong.
Because in their eyes, I'm not Christian.
But we both believe in God and Christ,
So I don't understand.
I have never said their faith was wrong,
Or questioned their love for God.
So why am I the one they pick on?
It hurts so much and they know it.
They put me in the spotlight.
They pound me with questions and judgments.
I try and defend myself and my faith,
But it's ten against two.
Because God is on my side.
He's keeping me strong in my ways.
They don't know that,
So they keep going and will not stop
Until they have shaken my faith and my confidence.
They would love to see me doubt myself,
But they don't know what strength I have.
I don't show fear, and I don't show defeat.
I just hold my head up high, look at them, and smile.
Then I turn and walk away.
I will not conform just to please them,
Or to be a part of the crowd.
They strengthen my faith by what they put me through.
And I always know that in the end,
God is by my side, and…
Being Catholic Rules!!!

Elizabeth Seibel – October 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment